was8bit 2020-03-20 05:54 (Edited)
You "were" the KING, until your enemies cast you into the Dungeon of Doom. Can you avoid deadly beasts, cursed statues, and greed for gold, and escape the dungeon and regain your throne?
Find both halves of a crown in each level of the dungeon, and rise in rank and honor. But if you get too greedy for gold, you will be expelled from your kingdom! You MUST rise to the rank of KING, AND escape the dungeon...
BEGIN YOUR TURN:
- Arrow Keys move player
- A button rotates maze piece (top left corner) to be inserted
- B button selects insertion point
- PAUSE inserts maze piece at selected point
*NOTE* this ends your turn...
was8bit 2020-03-25 06:39
Game is finished... please test for bugs... thanks :)
Timo 2020-03-27 08:52 (Edited)
I missed the progress on this game, looks good :)
I think the controls could be more intuitive. The pause button should not have a real game action, only some kind of menu or simple pause.
Maybe use different states:
- main state: arrows to move character, button A to switch to insertion mode, B to rotate piece
- insertion mode: arrows to select insertion point, button A to insert piece, B to cancel (back to main state)
It should be visually clear, which state is active.
Actually, no need to change this game now, but maybe it gives you ideas for your next games. Most people don't like to read manuals, especially for small quick games, so it's easier to have clear states and show the current controls on screen.
Obviously too, sometimes this is more work to implement. Main rule is still: Better quick and simple than never finished :)
was8bit 2020-03-27 09:28 (Edited)
(It was a beast to get everything working)
... well, you KNOW i like complicated things;) so, keeping each "button" limited to one function was on purpose, for several reasons... here is my thinking...
1) its more puzzle than game, careful decision making can make a huge difference
2) there are NO undo's, and mistakes can be fatal... you only get 1 life!
3) As ememies ONLY move after you insert a puzzle piece or find a cursed snake statue, you will first spend most of your time moving the player... THEN you will spend a lot of time deciding how to manipulate the gameboard to maximize more moves...
... comparitively speaking, you will spend very little time inserting a puzzle piece... so actually my set up seems to work for me OK...
The highest rank is 12 (king), and i forgot to put a check to catch going higher... but it seems few people like puzzle games :/
I would like at least 1 person to try to see how high of a rank they can get... sometimes remarketing can help... maybe i can replace most of the text with a catchy storyline intro ...i will work on that tomorrow :)
was8bit 2020-03-27 09:47
Ok, went ahead and wrote a storyline intro... good ? :)
Cclx33 2020-03-29 15:07
was8bit 2020-03-29 16:59
GAMELEGEND 2020-03-30 21:50 (Edited)
I got stuck on my first turn i press right and then i teleport and get stuck XD
was8bit 2020-03-30 23:22
That is when you add the spare maze piece (top left corner) into the maze board to change the maze around...
was8bit 2020-04-01 10:29
... fixed a bug that duplicated an enemy when moving them to the right...
nousername010 2020-04-26 13:36
Great game. I was at the rank of Earl before it ran out of memory, haha.
was8bit 2020-04-26 14:00
??? Ran out of memory ???
I never got that far... maybe i need to retest as i never say a memory issue?