Dawg 2020-05-11 09:09
If i copy stuff from the lowres coder to the lowresnx is doesn’t work and says it has errors.
How are people able to learn the lowresnx so well that they can make raycasting games and all kinds of extensive projects?
I have no idea what WOLF_DRAW_BIT is.
nousername010 2020-05-11 09:52
Though I never tried it, Lowres coder code won't work with NX probably due to syntax differences. If you made a text game, Timo made a tutorial on how to convert that to NX. It's there on the help page
3D Raycasting's already pretty advanced even for normal programming (I don't get WOLF _DRAW_BIT as well :D). You can start learning by reading the manual and playing around with its examples or other people's programs that are simple enough.
Hope that helped.
Dawg 2020-05-11 10:00
K thnx, i have not learnt much as of now, but i found a BASIC book from the 80s and am trying to combine my knowledge of that with the lowresnx tutorials to make things.
I made a text game kind of.
Do you know why DEF doesn’t work in NX?
nousername010 2020-05-11 10:23 (Edited)
DEF doesn't exist in the NX language...yet. It's one of those reserved keywords in the manual. I don't know what purpose Timo intends for DEF, but you can use SUB ... END SUB instead if you want to make a function.
Example from manual:
CALL GREET("LOWRES NX",3)
FOR I=1 TO A
Simpler(i hope) example:
'PRINTS THE TWO STRINGS ADDED TOGETHER
PRINT(X$ + Y$)
was8bit 2020-05-11 13:00 (Edited)
Is traditionally the very first line of code most any "basic" language has you do :)
Beyond that, NO 2 basic languages are identical...
.... you seem very eager to learn, which is good :) but, patience will work best for you..... here is one approach:
1) find the HELP section of lowres Nx...
2) go to the very bottom of the HELP page, and review the RESERVED KEYWORDS list... here are all of the commands in use or reserved and cannot be used as variable names...
3) Now, go back to the very top of the help section, and slowly start reading it like a book... try to learn and be able to use each thing you read about
4) most importantly, keep posting your questions here on these boards as you have new questions, we will always be here to help :)
5) finally, always remember that LOWRES stands for LOW RESOLUTION, and Timo has designed this to emulate an actual old school styled hand held game player that YOU can actually write the game programs for and others can play :) SO, this means it is 1) purposely limited in what it can do like an old game player would be today 2) let you access its "game files" and access its "hardware memory" etc... it simulates programming on an older gaming device :)
... again, ever hesitate to post any questions, and welcome to the lowres NX community :D
Timo 2020-05-11 17:23
The language of LowRes NX was very much inspired by some classic BASIC dialects, but it's not meant to be 100% compatible. It has most of the classic commands, but no line numbers.
DEF was used for single line functions. As NX already has SUBs I didn't bother to implement DEF. I thought about doing so (so I reserved the keyword), but probably won't.
G-9 2020-05-11 19:24
W8bit you have missed something...
🚫Print “hello “
✅PRINT ” HELLO WORLD ”
G-9 2020-05-11 19:27
Also if there is a « non virtual » LowRes NX console ?
And, can i develop LowRes NX interpreter for 3ds, Wii, Switch Homebrew? It would be great in the wii ...
Timo 2020-05-11 19:52 (Edited)
It’s virtual only, no real console. The interpreter is open source by the way, so if you know how to compile for these consoles, feel free :)
G-9 2020-05-11 20:00
G-9 2020-05-11 20:08
I will try to do that ; and then i will send you images of my NX homebrews ;)
was8bit 2020-05-11 21:48
@G_9... ah, yes... tired brains ;)
nathanielbabiak 2020-05-15 17:33
Dawg, the text WOLF_DRAW_BIT is the name of a subprogram I wrote. You can make your own subprogram with the SUB instruction, check out the manual for details. (Subprograms are used to organize a large program into small, modular sections. It's much easier to understand a small modular section of a program than it is to understand the whole thing in its entirety.) Just thinking about WOLF_DRAW_BIT and WOLF_DRAW_BYTE hurts my head, so it's not a great starting point for study.
G-9 2020-05-17 20:38
I have a 32b computer ...
I can’t compile files with Devkit PPC :’(