Hey - I just uploaded this
I think some collaboration might help me maintain motivation to finish it, and it'll be super fun! I could use some help with assets... and honestly I'm terrible at artistic stuff in general. (Really good at the graphics demos though!) If you make your own nx files on the subjects below, I can incorporate it into the game.
- starting "bells" (mine are terrible)
- engine and road noise (needs to be continuous, not discrete, over a range of 0-200 mph)
- engine and plains noise (same as above, but off-road)
- crash noises (needs to be continuous too, not discrete, as objects will have an attribute describing how solid they are and either cause a partial slow-down or some objects cause a full-crash, I'd also expect to repeat/spam this sound, for example, when going over a bunch of bushes in a row)
- new lap melody
The distant background
- Limited to 16x16 pixels (size 1) and the rows-columns size must be 32x8, but only the topmost 3 rows are used. Also limited to one BG (can't overlap BG 0 and BG 1)
- Make your own 16x16 tiles on page-3 of the GFX editor, and you can customize palettes 0 and 1. (Use both palettes for extra color!)
- The background wraps around, so make sure your tile map looks good wrapping too
- There's an example in ROM #4 (SKYBOX 1 BG) that you can check out.
- You can also use characters 2 and 34. Those are the only characters that are "safe" to use (besides the ones on page 3), but they're not "customizable".
- The status bar across the top will always be red and overlap any skybox.
- The background is limited to only seven colors (the transparency color, PAL 0 colors 1-2-3, and PAL 1 colors 1-2-3). But, it's not limited to a single palette assigned to the entire cell (because of the raster interrupt). All 48 individual pixel rows of the background can be assigned unique red-green-blue values for each of these seven color assignments. So any cell would still be limited to only seven colors within a single pixel row, but every individual pixel row could have it's own set of seven colors!
Raster color schemes
- I'm not yet ready to collaborate on this, I want to wait until most other things are finished, since this is super easy to change
- The lawn squares are four unique colors, the road edge lines are two unique colors, and the road lane lines are one unique color.
- The gantry (shown purple in the original upload image, but not available in gameplay yet) can have two unique colors plus black.
- I'm not yet ready to collaborate on these, since they are super easy to change.
- The game engine can show up to four separate mipmap scales on-screen at once, each instance can be a unique palette 4-7. One sprite per instance, up to ~24 instances on-screen at once.
- Palette colors are customizable throughout a level (but shouldn't be changed while a sprite is being displayed, wouldn't want the user to see it).
- This needs to wait until after I figure out the math for turning, then we can collaborate on actual levels!
I might help with some sounds or graphics, let’s see if I find some time for it.
That would be awesome! You have an excellent eye for what looks good in the LowRes NX color scheme. (Being its creator has it's advantages I suppose.)
...although I cannot promise anything. I'm kind of lazy... in theory I want to help, but in the real world it's harder ;)
I understand completely! No worries at all :-)